#NoEstimates- How to improve software development predictability and profitability by focusing on what matters
2020-03-17 09:00 to2020-03-17 17:00(Europe/Tallinn)
Vasco Duarte is an Agile Coach with a long experience in Agile adoption and software product development. He's worked for companies of all sizes in the product development business. He is also a regular speaker at Agile conferences all over Europe.
#NoEstimates is an approach to software development that arose from the observation that large amounts of time were spent over the years in estimating and improving those estimates, but we see no value from that investment. Indeed, according to scholars Conte, Dunmore and Shens  a good estimate is one that is within 25% of the actual cost, 75% of the time.
This is the same as saying: give us your money, we promise not lose more than 25% of it (with a 25% probability that we will lose a lot more). We don’t find that acceptable or productive for our industry. There must be better ways to manage software and product development.
In this workshop we will review and analyze why we do estimates and how we can improve software and product development while reducing the time and money invested in estimating.
 Paper referred to by Steve McConnell in his book: Software Estimation, Demystifying the Black Art
• Decision making frameworks for projects that do not require estimates
• Investment models for software projects that do not require estimates
• Project management (risk management, scope management, progress reporting, etc.) approaches that do not require estimates
• The tools and arguments you need to prove the value of #NoEstimates to your boss
• How to get started applying #NoEstimates right away
• Where is #NoEstimates going and what are the likely changes to software development that will come next.
Vasco Duarte is an Agile Coach with a long experience in Agile adoption and software product development.Vasco has been an Agile practitioner since 2004, he is one of the leaders and catalysts of Agile methods and Agile culture adoption at Avira and at Nokia and F-Secure.
Having worked in the software industry since 1997 he's worked for companies of all sizes in the product development business. He is also a regular speaker at Agile conferences all over Europe.
You can find him on twitter: @duarte_vasco or read his latest contributions at: http://softwaredevelopmenttoday.blogspot.com